Monday, September 2, 2013

Beautiful Beachy Make Over





I love transformations that make sense... like the ugly duckling becoming a beautiful swan or  a hairy little ole caterpillar becoming a majestic flying beauty.  So when I cam across this large, bulky, dark,  OVERBEARING HUTCH.. I knew immediately that it was in need of a makeover.

 
 
The first thing I did was lose the top.... I had grand plans of adding legs to it and transforming it into a really cool bookshelf...but with so many projects going...I ended up giving it away to someone who actually really needed it. 

I painted it an aqua color (chalk paint) and added a mocha glaze to the top of it.  It ended up looking like the perfect piece for a beach house!

 
The difference in color between direct sunlight and a darker room is amazing.  In the above photo, the piece is still in the garage with the sun shining in behind it...and it's green.  In the photo below, it's in a hallway with indirect light and it's definitely blue!
 
 
I used the original hardware
 

and distressed it heavily prior to waxing it - which works well on this piece.

 
The makeover transformed this from something that should be hiding in the closet to something that should be front in center in a family room with a flat screen adorning it.....  or in a dining room - as a buffet..... or in a formal living set up as a bar ..... or..... oh, the possibilities are ENDLESS...
 
 
 
One thing is for sure... it no longer makes me think of Hansel and Gretel being stuffed into a cage in a dark German forest!
 
 
 
 
It makes me thinks of a quaint beach cottage with the sound of the surf crashing and the smell of warm salt air.....

(UPDATE:  I sold this to a family that was adding to their beach house as a media center....perfect!)
 
What do you think?  

Linking to these great parties!

7 comments:

  1. Wish I had a beach house! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I love the color and I agree that it should be displayed somewhere prominent. Stopping by from Not Just a Housewife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty - I absolutely love that colour!!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love the color! So glad you used the original hardware - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hopped over from "My Romantic Home", I am stalking all the diy paint people as I they have just launched Annie Sloans chalk paint in New Zealand and they have asked me to work with them. I hope to do some pieces myself but never tackled anything more than the legs on a table I applied a French wash with. I am hoping the Annie Sloan paint works well. Did you use Annie Sloan paint on your cabinet and did you have to do an undercoat?

    I love how you have taken a piece of old furniture, given it not only new paint but a completely new look, I am very impressed.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Lee... I did not use Annie Sloan chalk paint - although it sure seems amazing... Congrats on the opportunity to work with them!

    I used homemade chalk paint (plaster of paris/water/paint) - painted a mocha glaze on the top of the that and then finished it off with wax. The chalk paint gave me complete coverage in two coats - so no, there was no undercoat...

    Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Water frameworks overall are being undermined by the enormous number of pollutants that represent a wide scope of threats to families. Since you realize that we need water in each reason, like washing, washing, cooking, and drinking, the foreign substances can without much of a stretch influence your wellbeing. These days, the poisons are developing more than ever.
    RO Service Near Me ✅ RO Service in Gurgaon 249/- Only. Call RO Service Centre Number for water purifier service, installation. We cater Kent, Aquaguard, Aquafresh, Livpure, Pureit, Nasaka in Gurgaon & Delhi NCR.
    Pahuja RO Water Solution is an independent Ro Service Centre in Gurgaon, Delhi NCR and All Over India. We undertake job work of Service, AMC, Repair, Installation & Maintenance.

    Your Choice Of Protector: Various Water Purification Technology
    Wide Range of Water Purifiers is Available at Our Store if You Want to Shop Online
    Do you think it’s safe to give your family unfiltered water?
    Water That is Safe and Clean to Drink-RO Filter Service
    Factor You Must Consider Before You Buy Water Purifier For Your Home

    ReplyDelete